The overarching goal of the Office of the Attorney General is to provide an improved quality of life for all in our society through the adoption of measures that create an environment of safety and respect for the law. In addition, the administration of justice will be more customer-focused. The achievement of these goals and objectives will foster an enabling environment that generates higher levels of national stability and projects an image which is conducive to investment, the generation of national prosperity and social progress.
The main policy objectives of the Ministry are:
- To contribute towards safe communities through services aimed at the maintenance of law and order, crime prevention and reduction and access to the requisite forensic services.
- To ensure access to a modernized and more efficient justice system, which also provides a sustainable free legal service to persons of insufficient means.
- To provide expert legal advice to and representation for the Government, except on criminal matters, and to reflect the status of Barbados as a modern and progressive democracy through the drafting, updating and reform of legislation.
- To strengthen the capacity to prevent money laundering and the financing of terrorism through appropriate legislation, efficient collection and analysis of financial intelligence and cooperation in efforts at the regional and international levels.
- To improve service delivery from the Office of the Attorney General and its departments through the implementation of effective Information Technology solutions and the creation of a safe and healthy work environment.